Email Security Tips from Broadway Bank
8 Email Security Tips
By Sonny Montiel
VP, Network Security Officer
Now a necessity for consumers and commerce, email is how we do business. This means that email security also has to be a part of our daily operating procedure. Be mindful of the following security tips to keep cyber criminals at bay.
- Guard your email account much like you protect your mailbox outside your home. Strangers shouldn’t be peering into your confidential information.
- Choose a strong password to access your email account and change it regularly.
- Beware of spam or unsolicited email that can be used to deliver malicious software to your computer.
- Only open attachments or click on links from sources that are trusted and expected.
- Confirm the authenticity when in doubt. Cyber criminals commonly act under the guise of a trusted official or company and request your personal information via email.
- Do not respond to email scare tactics deployed by cyber criminals like owing to the IRS, donating to disaster relief or to a non-profit organization.
- Delete unwanted and suspicious emails without opening.
- Maintain your computer operating system and software with security patches and updates.
Sending email messages with expedience is now woven into our daily lives. All of us take notice when delivery is made—or even impeded. However, in 2017, it is a best practice to also take notice when our emails might harbor a threat to our online security. Find additional Security and Privacy Information here.
Information and guidance provided in this article does not constitute professional advice. Contact a qualified technology security professional for solutions unique to your computing environment.