TMI Honored at Texas History Event

  • Share:
March 27, 2017
Two schools founded by the Rt. Rev. James S. Johnston, first bishop of the independent Diocese of West Texas, were honored by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Alamo Mission Chapter, at a Texas Independence Day observance, held March 2 at the Centotaph in Alamo Plaza.
 
Each year, the event honors a school of historical significance. This year, the ceremony recognized TMI – The Episcopal School of Texas, founded in 1893 as West Texas Military Academy, still the flagship school of the diocese; and St. Philip’s College, established in 1895 as a grammar and vocational school for African American girls, now part of the Alamo Community College District.
 
While TMI headmaster John W. Cooper and incoming headmaster the Rev. Scott Brown were unable to attend, due to their presence at a Board of Governors retreat, TMI was well-represented.
 
– The Rev. Carol Morehead associate rector of St. Mark’s, San Antonio, TMI parent and a recent former member of the TMI Board of Trustees – delivered a tribute to the school and its history.
“We are proud of all that the school and its alumni have accomplished as we look forward to TMI’s 125 anniversary in 2018,” Morehead said, “and we are most inspired when we consider our founder’s prayer for ‘a school set apart to the glory of (God’s) great name.’ May we always strive to fulfill that prayer, in all we do as students, teachers, parents and friends of the school.”
 
The invocation was given by the Rev. Paul Worley, grandfather of a TMI alumnus and supply priest at St. Philip’s, San Antonio, founded in 1895 by Bishop Johnston as a historically black congregation. A descendant of Alamo defender Isaac Ryan, he offered thanksgiving for those who fought and worked for Texas independence and for TMI and St. Philip’s and Bishop Johnston’s involvement with both institutions.
 
TMI Alumni Association President David Kaliski, a member of the class of 1994, accepted a flag that had flown over the Alamo on behalf of the school. “TMI - The Episcopal School of Texas shares with you the ideals of patriotism, service and reverence that inspired the defenders of the Alamo,” he said, “and we will be proud to display this very special flag on our campus.”
Members of the Texas Military Institute Corps of Cadets provided a color guard, presenting the U.S., Texas, Episcopal and TMI flags. Cadet Mark “Harry” Ware led the Texas Pledge of Allegiance, and Cadet Nathaniel Miseli read “Boldest and Grandest,” a historical tribute to Texas by Twain Tharp, Ph.D., a volunteer organizer of the event.
 
The TMI Band played patriotic songs, and the school’s varsity cheer squad performed with mascot Prima Panther.
 
Since 1912, this DRT chapter has honored area schools at this event. Schools recognized in recent years include San Antonio’s Central Catholic High School and Jefferson High School.
Contact:
Paula Allen, Director of News and Information
(210) 564-6155